Outpost Expansion Gamekit
This gamekit is only useful for those who own a copy
of Outpost by TimJim Games. The gamekit contains
The two parts are independent. To use this gamekit,
you will need Microsoft Word and a program that can
print JPEG files. (The former is needed for item 1.
and both are needed for item 2.)
- A set of random event cards and rules for them to
be added to the standard Outpost game.
- A set of artwork to make replacement counters
for the game.
Assembling the Random Events
To build the random events deck, print the MS-Word files
Outpost *.doc and Items *.doc
onto card stock. Then either cut out the cards along
the indicated marks or take the stack to a copy store
and have them do it. If you cut them yourself, I suggest
using an Exacto knife and a metal straightedge. I cut on
a healable cutting surface, but that's not necessary unless
you do a lot of this sort of thing. Alternatively, you
can print onto paper and have a copy store copy them onto
card stock. (Most copy stores can also print from disk onto
card stock directly.) If you copy from paper, I suggest cutting out the
cards yourself. The copy store can do it, but the cards
will not be exactly aligned. The result will be adequate,
but not perfect. Also print the rule set, outpost.html.
Assembling the Counters
This kit contains three sets of counters, men, factories,
and robots. The men are in "grid of pop.doc," and the
robots are in "grid of robots.doc," each MS-Word files.
The factories are in factories.JPG, an image file. Print
a copy of each of these files. The factories need to be
printed on colored paper. (If printed at 150 pixels/inch,
the factories will be the right size.) A copy store can do this for
you, or you can do it yourself if you have the paper.
Factories will be needed to be printed in Brown or Orange
(Ore), Blue (Water), White (Titanium), Yellow (Research),
and Green (New Chemicals).
To mount the counters, I use artist's illustration board
stock (costs about $1/large sheet) and Spray-Ment permanent
spray adhesive. A burnishing tool is handy. I cut out the
counters with a metal straightedge and a carpenter's utility
knife. And a lot of elbow grease. I find that it's convenient
to cut the counters into strips first, then cut all the strips
at once. Corner clipping for the factories is most easily done
with a fingernail clipper.
Card Template.doc --- blank card template
Items 1.doc --- Sheets of items used in
Items 2.doc random events.
Outpost 01-04.doc --- Random event cards.
Outpost 05-08.doc These are stored as
Outpost 09-12.doc individual pages for
Outpost 13-16.doc a bizarre reason.
factories.JPG --- Image for factory counters
grid of pop.doc --- population counters
grid of robots.doc --- robot counters
outpost.html --- rules
setup.html --- this document
I'd like to know how this kit worked out for you.
If you had problems printing or if the images printed
poorly, please tell me. I used the original artwork
(except for the robots) and didn't scan them in except
for distribution, so I don't know if I've left off any
details or frankly, if this print scheme will be adequate.
I'd also like to know how well the game played for you.
We've playtested the set for five years or so, but there's
always something new that comes up. If you want to tone
down the events somewhat, you might want to prevent some
of the nastier ones (Godzilla, Volcanic Eruptions) from
occurring in Phase 1, or you might take them out entirely.
I've included some blank cards so that you can build your
own. If you make some that are particularly good, please
tell me about them.
The robots are scanned from the final Outpost
counters. They are used without permission, but since
Outpost is now out of print and the kit can't
be used without the game, I suspect it's OK.
The factories and men are old Macintosh clip art, given
to me by Jim Hlavaty for prototyping the game. Yes, oddly,
this is a step backwards in time, and a clear improvement,
in my opinion.
The cards were originally built with MacDraw, but converted
to Microsoft Word when the Mac that had them on it died.
The images were scanned and hacked with Adobe Photoshop 3.0.
May 6, 1998