Time Taken: < 5 minutes
Serves: any number
This is a classic sandwich, from Sue Grafton's writing. It's very messy. I'll leave
the trick to keeping your shirt clean until the end.
- Pepper Jack or Jack Cheese, shredded
- Kaiser Rolls
- Butter for frying
- Optional: crushed red pepper
The trick to avoid getting this all over yourself is to invert it; eat it with the egg yolk pointing down.
Let the guest figure this out for himself!
- Put a piece of waxed paper on a plate. Make a circle of salami slices roughly the
same diameter as the roll. Add a handful of cheese, then optionally a sprinkling
of crushed red pepper.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Meanwhile, fry an egg, sunny side up
- Optionally, toast the bun in the egg butter or lightly in a toaster oven.
- Assemble by putting the salami and cheese on the roll, adding the egg gently, and covering
without pressing down.
- Serve immediately.
© Jeff Goldsmith, July 24, 2021